You can copy across all you existing data from Clik Service 3 into Clik Service 4 with the data conversion tool. To do this you will need to install Clik Service 4 onto the same machine as Clik Service 3.
If you haven't already installed Clik Service v4, you can get it here. But don't worry the two programs are independent of each other and will not overwrite any data or files from Clik Service 3.
Before you start you must...
- Have Clik Service 4.0 (build 100) or higher installed (Click here to check for any updates).
- Have administrator privileges in Clik Service 4, to access the data conversion tool you will need.
- Check all other users are not logged into Clik Service 3 and 4.
- Check if you run Clik Service 3 as an access database. You will need to install a Microsoft SQL Engine (Microsoft SQL 2005 or higher) as the data conversion only converts into a SQL database file. You can use the free Microsoft SQL express versions available from their website.
It's best to check your data is correct in Clik 4 before you start and demo it until you are completely satisfied you have got the hang of using it before you go live.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Each time you run the conversion tool it will overwrite any data you have in Clik Service 4. You cannot keep any settings or data you have inserted into Clik Service 4 prior to any new conversion.
Accessing The Data Conversion Tool
- Login to Clik Service 4 with admin privileges.
- Click on settings > settings at the top of the program.
- In the settings window, scroll down and click on backup settings > version 3 - > 4 data conversion.
If you do not see the version 3 -> Version 4 data conversion option you are not running the latest version of Clik Service 4. In this case close the Clik settings window and click on help > check for updates at the top of the program.
- You’ll be prompted to close all windows and database connections.
- Click OK to begin the conversion.
Running The Data Conversion Tool
The data conversion tool will disconnect you from the existing Clik Service 4 database and close all windows.
It will automatically detect your Clik Service 3 database. If you have a multiple companies setup in Clik Service 3, the first screen you will see is one asking you which company you wish to convert. You will need to run the data conversion tool for each company. To do this select the company from the drop down list and click on the next button to continue.
If you ran Clik Service 3 on a SQL 2000 database you will need to install Microsoft SQL 2005 or higher. The free express versions are suitable unless you plan on having a large database (10GB+) with equally large amount of connections.
If you are unsure what database Clik Service 3 is running on, you can find out with configuration utility in Clik Service 3. Do this by going to file at the top of the program and select configuration utility.
The database mode tells you if you have access or SQL. If you have any doubts over which version of SQL you are using or how to check please give us a call on 0117 902 2012.
- To let the data conversion tool automatically choose the Clik Service Database click on attempt to locate data.
- Or if you want to select the database to convert, click on browse to database.
- If you have an access database, you’ll see the path to the MDB file. You can browse and select an MDB file by clicking on the browse to database button.
This is when you configure your new Clik Service 4 database.
- Click on find SQL server(s). This will load a list of all SQL servers on your network.
Unless you have installed a new version of SQL then typically you will want to select the same SQL Server as detailed in step one.
- Select the SQL Server then type a database name in the field below (we recommend you call the database Clik4).
- Click on test and you should get a test successful notification.
- If the database name is a new one, you’ll see a colour bar to the left of the step two window. A yellow bar indicates the database exists and if you proceed any data will be overwritten. A red bar indicates there is a problem with the database selection and the tool cannot connect to the SQL server.
- When you have the green bar light click on next >> to continue.
Now you are ready to convert your data.
- On the right of the window are two options which allow you to convert notes and process address locations. The second option allows you to take part of the Google mapping functions in Clik Service 4.
- Click on the run conversion button to begin the data conversion.
- The data conversion can take several minutes depending on the size of your Clik Service 3 database.
- Once finished it will prompt you to select an owner company. This will be the default address on printed templates.
- Click on close & use.
- Then the conversion process is complete. Click OK, close the data conversion window and launch Clik Service 4.
- You will now get an option to click on v4 data when the program starts.
Hopefully this guide has helped but if you have any questions about the data conversion tool please give us a call on 0117 902 2012.